On 30th January the Government published a consultation on proposed draft alterations to the NPPF. The consultation was published as part of MHCLG’s response to last years’ Building Better, Building Beautiful commission report. The key changes proposed address a number of issues including the following:
1. Improve design.
3. Article 4 directions
4. Clarify the provision of affordable home ownership.
5. Additional considerations relating to the removal of statues.
6. Empower neighbourhood plans re size of development.
7. Encourage a range of transport modes in strategic planning
8. Tighten the rules governing the acceptability of paragraph 79 dwellings.
9. An increased timescale for proposed new settlements
Alongside the recommended changes to the NPPF, the Government also published a draft National Model Design Code (NMDC) outlining standards that new development would be expected to meet. The NMDC provides a checklist of design principles for consideration when assessing new developments such as building type, street character and ‘the requirements address wellbeing and environmental impact’. The intention is for the NMDC to be used as a checklist for LPAs when forming their own ‘unique’ local design codes.
For more information on the above consultation and the NMDC please click on the following link below;
For more details regarding the Building Better Building Beautiful Commission “Living with Beauty” report please click on the link below: